Our Policies & Procedures
POLICY ON sleep monitoring
Each child is unique and comes with their own sleeping routine.
To ensure teachers follow individual children’s rhythms and sleeping routines in a relaxed and familiar environment.
- Adequate space is provided between children’s beds to ensure safety and hygiene.
- All children are provided with their own individual sleeping space and bed linen.
- Sleep spaces are positive and peaceful to ensure undisturbed rest and follow tikanga protocols.
- Teachers are relaxed and unhurried in preparing children for sleep, and flexible to children’s individual routines.
- Children’s individual sleep routines will be followed. In the Toddlers & Kindy, structured sleep/rest times are provided.
- Staff/child ratio are maintained while children are sleeping.
- Parents/caregivers are encouraged to bring anything special that may help their child to settle into sleep.
Procedure for Monitoring Sleeping Children
- An assigned teacher will ensure children are checked for warmth, breathing, and general well-being every ten minutes.
- They record the times each child went to sleep and woke up on the Sleep Chart.
- At no time will children have access to food or liquids while in bed in accordance with the Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008.
- A Baby Monitor will be turned on throughout the day in both the Infants and Toddler sleep rooms.